Saturday, October 9, 2010

Determination to Live POWERfully & Cheer

Determination to Live POWERfully & Cheer
Eleven days ago my life changed and was turned upside down.  As I shared, my daughter, Makenzie, was rushed to the ER at Children's Hospital. We didn't know we were in for a ride that will challenge us more than any event we have experienced thus far.  Makenzie's battle with Accute Pancreatits has evolved and grown.  Each day has brought new tests, new pokes and prods, and new challenges for us to overcome. Through it all, Makenzie has stayed strong and even got her sense of humor back.  She went from running and playing on the monkey bars full of hope for what 1st grade would bring, to using that energy and hope to keep her body producing strong red blood cells and feel capable of tackling each new test.  We thought we had a gage on what Makenzie's journey would be last week, but it was a teaser.  We've been informed Makenzie has one of the most severe cases of pancreatitus the doctors at Children's Hospital have ever seen, and an additional myriad of other "broken" organs.  She will be in the hospital until Thanksgiving, missing Halloween with her friends and family. 

BUT that does not stop Makenzie, nor our family.  Makenzie has always been a role model to me for living with joy and having fun in the moment. She  has climbed the tallest tree with her buddy Jonah because she was curious, while other kids looked on in awe. She rides her bike in a snazzy outfit singing along the way LOUDLY, without a care if her notes are on cue. She taught her 2 1/2 year old sister to do cannonballs with the biggest splashes possible, and then do sommersaults underwater to have the water tickle as it goes up their noses.  She has cheered me on at every race wearing dynamic ensembles yelling, "Go Mommy! Go Mommy!", while clapping her hands as fast as they can. NOW it is my time to CHEER for Makenzie and be with her every step of the way.

Makenzie has many more tests to tackle, feats to overcome and painful times to endure and needs to be her healthiest and most powerful self yet.  After being pricked for a blood drawl again today, Makenzie said to me, "Mommy, I am a big kid and I can do this.  I don't need your help when it hurts, I can do this now". I responded with tears in my eyes, "Makenzie you don't have to be so tough, and are already the bravest 6 year old, let alone woman, that I know.  Let me rub your back and cheer you on. I am honored to."  Makenzie responded with a squeeze to my hand saying "Ok Mommy, but know I am a big girl now. I am brave."  That she is, and I will be brave alongside her every step of the way. 

Thus, I have a new Challenge for YOU.  AS I cheer on Makenzie, I have to change the current schedule for my business (listed below) and you get to train on the additional days on your own. Makenzie and I decided as a team that it was good for me to keep my Power Fitness PDX'ers strong and healthy, so I can be strong and healthy for her.  She can take strength from me, as I give you the tools to become stronger.  She will provide additional inspiration for all of us to reach far within ourselves and give our ALL every workout.  The Fall will truly give you a sense of the POWER within you that you didn't realized existed.  I am even more determined to make each workout more dynamic and challenging, to help motivate you to live each day to the fullest and be your most courageous and dynamic self yet. No excuses, YOU are going to give it.

As I shared before, we have been given the gift of one body.  There are NO EXCUSES, all you have to do is lace your shoes and make it to Power Fitness PDX.  I will cheer you on as I cheer on my child, to become your healthiest self and overcome each new challenge.  Now, tie up your laces and see you at 5:45 am on Monday.  USE your body because YOU CAN!

Let's work together to Challenge the POWER of YOU!

-Erin Kreitz Shirey
Power Fitness PDX CEO, Master Trainer & Coach
BS Kinesiology
ACE, NASM, Fit to Deliver, Stott Pilates, Nutrition Certified
c- 503.703.1269
a- po box 1077, alameda ca 94501


www.powerfitnesspdx.com  -  powerfitnesspdx@gmail.com - www.powerofyoufitness.blogspot.com
The future is not set, there is no fate but what we make for ourselves.- Irish Proverb  ** Photo is after the Oakland Half Marathon, March 2010 **

No comments:

Post a Comment